Usually it is the warning signs that make you suspect that you have rodents in your home. It is more rare that you will personally see them strolling around. However, even if you don’t suspect rodents in the home yet, it is good to be able to recognize the signs. Rodents breed quickly, carry diseases, and can do some serious damage to your home if left unchecked.
- Small, rice-sized droppings will be found in cabinets and drawers, often close to food. They will also be pointed at one end.
- Small chew marks and shavings.
- Urine smell. Unlike human urine, mouse urine smells a little nicer, some say it smells like popcorn. However, the stronger the smell, the more mice you have.
- Noise inside the walls at night.
- Tunnels in insulation. You will most commonly spot this in attics where insulation is often left free-standing.
- Large, bean-sized droppings left near baseboards or cabinets.
- Dirt on your baseboards.
- Rat runs through carpet or insulation where as they take similar paths every time.
- Large chew marks and larger holes due to their larger teeth and body compared to mice.
- Holes in the wall as rats often create their own doors.
- Noise in the walls at night. Rats are often much more noisy than mice.
- Noise in your attic. Squirrels are very noisy as they move around in the mornings and evenings.
- Odor in the attic. Squirrel urine or feces will create a terrible smell in the attic that will eventually seep into your home.
- Nests of leaves and twigs. Mice and rats typically don’t use these items to nest in your attic.
- Oblong droppings that are rounded at both ends and about a half an inch in length.
Do you suspect that you have any of the above in your home? If you think you have rodents, then they need to be handled before they cause more damage. Contact us today so Home Run Pest & Termite Control can give them an eviction.